Where Did You Get That? (Colombia Edition)

We recently returned from our visit to Medellin, Colombia where I have family staying for a couple of months. While there, we visited some wonderful family friends and stayed in their gorgeous countryside hacienda in San Carlos. It was so lovely I want to go back so bad.

The

truth is – I never considered visiting Colombia as I assumed it was too dangerous or
unfriendly to visitors. Now I’m convinced it’s one of the most beautiful
hidden gems in South America.

Our Colombian friends took us to the natural swimming pools and waterfalls within walking distance of their home. It was heavenly.

And…my friend had on a pair of awesome sandals…

They were pretty much the perfect shoes for hanging out by a waterfall.
🙂

I asked her where she got them and they are CROCS! I was so
surprised. I guess I didn’t realize how many styles Croc has these
days. The style is called Sexi! Yes, I think so.

The bad news is they no longer available on Croc. The good news is there are some pairs on E-bay or Amazon.

Do you have any other favorite Croc (or rubber) shoes? I’m intrigued by anything made of rubber these days as April and May are the “rainy season” here in Ecuador.

XO, M

1. Sarah Spitz April 30, 2014 at 2:05 pm - Reply

Dear Mara, I read about you, your husband, life and your story at -cup of Jo-… I am amazed by your optimism and love. Life never gives you what you expected, but most of the time, it will be better, much better than you expected!

I have your thoughts about love and being a good person in mind – I am sorry for this random comment, I just felt a lot of light when I read your words! And I guess, I just like to say thanks for telling them to the world!

by the way, Colombia looks wonderful, I study spanish and love, love to go to america latina…

Love from Germany and the -fatcatconnection-
    Birdy

• mara April 30, 2014 at 9:06 pm - Reply

Sarah – I tell ya, this blog is something else. It's just amazing to connect with women like you. Much love, M

2. Anonymous April 30, 2014 at 2:09 pm - Reply

Hi Mara and Danny,

I don't know if other people are having this problem but there is an ad for Athletica on the upper left side of the page and it blocks the top half of all the posts I am trying t read. Thank you

• danny April 30, 2014 at 4:03 pm - Reply

Thank you Anon – We specifically request that no ads of that type be show on the blog, it's always frustrating to me when I see it and I try to go and get rid of it. It isn't appearing for me right now, so I may not be able to find the right one, but I'll see what I can do.

3. Emm April 30, 2014 at 5:51 pm - Reply

I love this post! I thought was going to be about a beautiful hand-made item from Colombia, but instead they are about the PERFECT sandal and I would never have come across them otherwise. Thanks, Mara! Just went for it and ordered a pair from eBay, since supplies seem to be limited. Fingers crossed. Your friend has amazing style with those thin blue pants, too!

• mara April 30, 2014 at 8:55 pm - Reply

Oh – SO happy that you'll get a pair! That's awesome!! And yes, I love those pants, too. It's a great, light weight option if you want to be in a swimming suit but also want to be covered. I think it's so cute how she tied them at the bottom.

4. Meegan & David April 30, 2014 at 5:57 pm - Reply

Haha I have never even considered Crocs either, and then I noticed my Aunt had super cute sandals the other day and they were Crocs! Hers were the Huarache Flat and they were seriously so cute. I may just order some! Thanks for your blog, you guys are so great!

5. Amy Orton April 30, 2014 at 8:17 pm - Reply

I'm in love with J-41 shoes. They are a little bit on the sporty side, but man are they comfortable. They easily transition from running errands to a day at the beach. I think the Shasta (which I live in all summer and will be buying another pair or two this year) would be perfect for you. I've also got the Tahoe and Misty and love them for more rugged adventures.

• mara April 30, 2014 at 8:57 pm - Reply

Amy, thank you so, so much. I love learning about new brands! These shoe option are really great. In fact, I wanted to get some that could go from a hike straight into a river (it seems I keep finding myself in that situation down here and my flip flops are not cutting it. 🙂 So these are PERFECT. Thk you thk you.

6. EllaY April 30, 2014 at 8:20 pm - Reply

YES! I just bought these http://www.crocs.com/crocs-womens-huarache-flat/14121,default,pd.html?cid=93H&cgid=women-footwear-flats in the bronze/espresso, and I love them! They're comfortable and don't squeak like old school Crocs.

• mara April 30, 2014 at 8:58 pm - Reply

You have tempted me. Those are CUTE.

7. Anonymous April 30, 2014 at 9:00 pm - Reply

Thank you! I needed good no-slip deck shoes for a wet cottage and these are going to be perfect.

8. Kelly Rodriguez May 1, 2014 at 12:40 am - Reply

I love my croc flip flops. My SIL recommended them to me. She wore them after a severely broken ankle and subsequent surgery. She nailed it. They were perfect in the pop-up rain storms in Santiago de Compostela, Spain.(The rain of Spain, indeed, falls in Santiago.;-) They never take on foot odor and they have just enough arch support to wear sightseeing all day. Love them! So nice to see your post. 🙂 Long time follower, infrequent commenter….hoping to change that.

Kelly

9. Stargirl May 1, 2014 at 4:15 am - Reply

I love my Chacos. I don't know if that is what you are looking for, but they have good arch support, and they clean right off. I wear them all summer.

10. Anonymous May 1, 2014 at 4:43 am - Reply

Am really liking your S.America posts. Keep them coming! I'm currently planning a trip to S. America (Chile to Columbia) for 4 months (with 2 little ones) starting in September and I'm keen to read about all the hidden gems you are discovering.
    Jo
    (PS — read your blog often, have never commented. really like this reading about this new turn your life has taken.)