Happy Monday!

Hi Everyone!!
We are catching up after speaking at the conference in Manhattan.

All went well!  We spoke about (3) things:  Identity, Choice and the Pursuit of Virtues.  We spoke side by side up on the stand and I just kept thinking what a gift it is to speak with Danny. He LOOOVES to speak and teach so much.  And he gives me the best moral support in the world before we speak.

It was really something to be speaking at that particular church by Lincoln Center.  That was where I went 14 years ago, when I first moved to New York and decided to visit the Mormon church after 5 years of not attending.  I had zero spiritual strength then, I had very little knowledge about living a spiritual life, and my identity was based on things that I later came to realize didn’t matter one bit.  I only went to church then to meet people.  About 9 years later, I returned to that same chapel to meet people again.  This time I was newly divorced and had years of infertility behind me.  And I was a completely different woman.  I was happily living the most spiritual life I knew how.  I kinda love going to that building, just because it’s such a reminder of my own transformation.

And, we loved the people who attended the event.  I got all teary over them.  New Yorkers can do that to me.  🙂

Follow A BLOG ABOUT LOVE on:
Twitter @ablogaboutlove
Pinterest
Facebook
ABAL Book Club
Babble Voices & The Equals Record

1. Rose Jorgensen September 16, 2013 at 11:58 am - Reply

Y'all are the sweetest couple, and you Mara have come a long way to where you are at. You remind me of me in some aspects except I'm now in my 40's! Happy for members like you who chose the path to happiness in knowing the church is true. Trials will still come, but with a strong companion, and hanging on to the gospel with firm faith in The Lord nothing will stand in your way. Happy Monday to you too!

2. Stephanie September 16, 2013 at 12:22 pm - Reply

So glad your talk went well!

I realize this is a bit frivolous, but Mara, what lipstick are you wearing? After reading your post about NARS, I would like to get a replacement.

3. Karlie September 16, 2013 at 4:38 pm - Reply

I wish I could hear you two speak! I told my friend who lives in Manhattan to attend vicariously for me. Any chance you would ever come out west (SLC) for a speaking engagement? I've been reading your blog now for several months and regularly refer my favorite posts to anyone who will listen! Thank you for shedding light on what real love is all about- your thoughts have changed my thinking and perspective about dating and marriage. Thank you for opening up and sharing your experiences!

4. RATCH September 16, 2013 at 7:37 pm - Reply

It's those times in our lives when we are lacking spirituality that help us appreciate, so much, when we do have it. Thank you for being such an uplifting place for me to come every day.

5. The Photo Pharm September 16, 2013 at 8:03 pm - Reply

That building is where I met the missionaries and got baptized 7 years ago. It is like coming home for me every time I'm able to attend. Wish I could have heard your talks — I'm sure they were wonderful!

6. Kristen September 17, 2013 at 4:28 am - Reply

You know what I think would be cool? If you would write a book on identity, choice, and the pursuit of virtues (and so on). I might never be able to go to one of your speaking engagements but I could read a book.

• Kristen September 17, 2013 at 4:30 am - Reply

No pressure, though. It's not like you guys aren't busy. ^_^

7. Anonymous September 17, 2013 at 10:53 pm - Reply

Wait. Hold the phone. This part of you not attending church for a very long time fascinates me. Did you ever consider yourself NOT Mormon, or were you just not practicing religion at all? "About 9 years later, I returned to that same chapel to meet people again. This time I was newly divorced and had years of infertility behind me." – so you weren't going to church when you were married? Was your ex a Mormon or go to church? Am I being incredibly nosy and overstepping boundaries here? Because I hope not! I'm just genuinely curious (no judgement whatsoever) because I don't think you've written about this here before (maybe you have and I missed it). XOXO!

• danny September 18, 2013 at 2:23 pm - Reply

She meant that the first time she came to NYC, she hadn't attended church for about 5 years (those 5 years involved little to no religious practice at all). All the time she was married to her ex she attended church, just not that particular chapel that was mentioned in the post. When she was divorced, she returned to that same chapel (instead of the one she attended in Brooklyn) for the first time in 9 years, this time a totally different woman than when she first came to NY and back to church years ago.

Hope that helps clarify.

8. Allison September 18, 2013 at 3:50 pm - Reply

i would love to hear you guys speak! you guys should do a vlog! it would be so fun to watch

9. Marie September 19, 2013 at 6:02 pm - Reply

I’m so sad to have missed this!! I live in the UES, and I’ve been reading every single post on this blog since February 2012. I know I’ll meet you two eventually through! Sending much love!!

10. Martin September 24, 2013 at 9:43 pm - Reply

Beautiful picture!

11. Veronica Olson September 26, 2013 at 12:14 am - Reply

Lovely. I wish I could have attended the fireside! I go to the LS singles ward, and was unfortunately out of town for your lecture. Thanks for the blog. I've enjoyed reading it over the past couple years, and it has helped my attitude about happiness, choice, and the future. It has also changed my outlook on the challenges of moving to the city two months ago. You two are wonderful, Christ-like people. Hopefully I can hear you speak at some point.

12. Melanie October 11, 2013 at 10:06 pm - Reply

I'm reading Clayton Christensen's book, "the Power of Everyday Missionaries", and I don't know if you've read it yet, but at one point he tells the reader to put the book down and log in to your blog, haha! So I did and I love it 😀
    I'll be checking in again, you have a really good feeling going on here! I guess I never thought I might feel the spirit while reading someone's blog. What a cool thing.

13. Amanda October 16, 2013 at 10:01 pm - Reply

You two look beautiful together!

14. Barney October 21, 2013 at 11:58 am - Reply

Its nice thing to speak, talking and expressing what all is in your heart will surely resolve many mis understandings. Good luck to both of you