Love for Houseplants

Oxalis Triangularis

I recently got this plant…and I just LOVE this thing.

Oxalis Triangularis

The coloring is gorgeous.  And the leaves look like little hearts.  I’ll take it.  ðŸ™‚

Oxalis Triangularis

Oxalis Triangularis
And this part just about does me in…. the leaves actually close up at night!  It’s the sweetest thing.
Oxalis Triangularis
Can you tell I’ve lived in NYC for almost 14 years?  Having a living breathing plant in my apartment is way too thrilling. 🙂
I kind of want to get more plants.
Any houseplant lovers out there?  Do you have any plants that you just love?

P.S.  This plant is called Oxalis Triangularis.

UPDATE:  I got this plant at one of our favorite little neighborhood grocery markets called, The Bad Wife (7th Ave. and 12th St. in Park Slope).  The Korean husband and wife owner, Mr. and Mrs. Lee, are so lovely.  (Mr. Lee calls the store “The Bad Wife” and his wife is the good wife. 🙂  Their plant selection out front is one of the best in the neighborhood.  Mrs. Lee also sells her own homemade, organic kimchi.

Follow A BLOG ABOUT LOVE on:

1. LM July 9, 2013 at 12:08 pm - Reply

Cacti, but I kill them with too much watering. Ha ha, I just have more love to give than they can take.

2. Rose July 9, 2013 at 12:32 pm - Reply

What a great plant! I've never seen one like it. I've stuck to succulents because they're hard to kill, and really cool looking.

3. Marilyn July 9, 2013 at 12:34 pm - Reply

What a cute houseplant! I've never seen one of these. I love other people's houseplants. Unless they can tell me they are thirsty, I ignore them, even when I put it on my todo list.

4. Lauren Hildreth July 9, 2013 at 12:39 pm - Reply

Fiddleleaf figs are the best. They can get really big (6 ft. tall, 6 ft. wide), so you either have to keep it trimmed or have a nice, big corner for it. But they are just lovely and easy to take care of, and they have beautiful leaves!

5. eden July 9, 2013 at 2:18 pm - Reply

i'm a huge fan of pothos. they're really low-maintenance and can get really vine-y and long. if you forget to water it, it'll start to look a little sad and wilty, but then 10-15 minutes after you water it, it has totally forgiven you for your neglect. if you can find a big leaf pothos, all the better! also a huge fan of the peace lily. very pretty flowers. not as low-maintenance as the pothos, but not terribly high-maintenance either.

i love that plant you bought!

6. Lisette July 9, 2013 at 3:28 pm - Reply

Birds nest ferns are fantastic!

7. KelliO July 9, 2013 at 3:47 pm - Reply

I'm a huge fan of plants! Yours seems really beautiful and unique. My first semester in college I bought one for our crummy student apartment and I've been loyal ever since. I even have a small plant on my desk at work. I believe there's something beautiful about having a natural, living thing to soften the manufactured in your home.

• mara July 19, 2013 at 10:55 pm - Reply

Yes, I agree! I'm just loving it…

8. Ashleigh Son July 9, 2013 at 4:27 pm - Reply

Mara, I have had a geranium in my window as a gift from my mother-in-law ever since I got married over a year ago. As long as the soil is moist and it gets a bit of sunlight it flourishes beautifully. Also, my most favorite, most low maintenance plant I have is a bamboo plant. You can almost neglect the thing entirely and it lives and grows like crazy. All you need to do is make sure it has water. It can even survive off of minimal sunlight. Mine gets a lot, though, and it has now grown to twice the height it was when I first got it.

9. Chris July 10, 2013 at 1:38 am - Reply

that IS truly lovely. Delicate but exotic.

10. fillmynest July 10, 2013 at 4:50 am - Reply

So beautiful!
    I love orchids. Possibly in an unhealthy way. There are so many beautiful varieties and many are quite low maintenance. You can get a nice Phalaenopsis at most grocery stores. The flowers will last up to 2 months or more, and I think the plants are pretty cool. You just give them a good soak once the potting medium completely dries out–every week or so. When the flowers die, keep watering them the same way and cut off the spike. A new one will grow the next year, and I think the plant is pretty in the mean time.

11. Kimberly Bonham July 16, 2013 at 3:20 pm - Reply

This is beautiful! I love a good houseplant too!

12. Christina Domingues July 30, 2013 at 11:24 pm - Reply

I love this plant! I'm in Brooklyn as well, can you tell me where you got your lovely plant? Thank you!

• mara August 1, 2013 at 2:53 am - Reply

Hi Christina! So cool you're in Brooklyn. I got the plant at The Bad Wife market on 7th Ave. (at about 12th St. I think…near Naidre's.) The Korean couple that owns the store is so lovely. They have plants every day out on the sidewalk and they get new deliveries on Saturdays usually. He said he always orders that plant, but I've noticed they do seem to fly off the shelves. So I hope you can get one!

13. Anonymous August 21, 2013 at 2:59 pm - Reply

Your plant is a shamrock, and I have one too. They are wonderful. I have LOTS of plants and am thrilled to see that you are so taken with this one. Definitely add more to your life. You won't be sorry.