The Day of Our Embryo Transfer

It happened! It really happened! This embryo transfer was the final step of IVF. I took some photos of the experience. If the procedure works, I thought it would be fun to show our children these photos one day… [Also, I recorded these photos (and many more) on “Days” (June 8). So you can click over there to see more details, gifs, etc… if you prefer. ]
—————————————————————————————-
On the way there, Danny says:  “What’s some good baby-making music?” haha.

(Many more photos after the jump!)

Feeling very calm and excited. Very grateful to feel this way…instead of a bundle of nerves. To me, it’s a miracle.

Hamilton Avenue bound for the Brooklyn Bridge. We’re heading to the city to see the embryologist and doctor on 23rd St.

BQE – be kind to us!!  🙂

Danny is more nimble than me in the Rover. We’re zipping along.

The BEST view of Manhattan.

I always love seeing the Brooklyn Bridge out our window…

This sign is like an old friend.

And so is this.

FDR North.  The views almost make-up for the pot holes.  🙂

See what I mean?  Here’s the Manhattan Bridge.

Making good time…here’s our exit…

Fingers were crossed big time for some parking…

And then! The coolest thing ever happened. There was a wide open spot smack in front of our doctor’s office. Yes. I know. We couldn’t believe it. That never happens. No other parking spots in sight.

Buzzing the office. Glad we made it safe and sound.

And now we wait. I was hoping the 2 embryos unthawed ok. (There’s always a risk that they might not survive.) I figured they would have told us by now, if not. I was feeling hopeful.

Yay!  It was finally our turn!! They said Danny could join me, which made me so happy. And…at this point, I assumed they must have some embryos for us.   🙂

So we finally met with the doctor. One embryo survived. The other one did not. But luckily they were able to unthaw our one remaining embryo. So they had two healthy embryos waiting for us. We were feeling very grateful to be able to move forward.  Though this will be it for us.

The procedure was about 10 minutes long and painless (no needles and no drugs – aside from a valium they wanted me to take to prevent any muscle contractions). They had everything blown up on the screens above, so we got to watch them put the embryos into my body. It really was pretty amazing.  Danny sat above me but reached for my hand, which was so sweet. He couldn’t see my face but it made me have a tiny tear.  It was just an amazing life experience to have this happen.

After, they had me stay laying down for thirty minutes.  I didn’t mind one bit as I was feeling kind of drowsy from the valium.  My nurse that day – one I had never met – said…”You don’t look like the type to drink. So this might make you drowsy.” ha! Sure enough, I don’t drink  🙂  She also said, without knowing my age…”Ahh..you’re so young. You have plennnnty of time to get pregnant, you know.”  hahaha. There it is. Classic.  🙂

And then it was all done…

Moments later we were heading out again.  We were feeling so happy, so in love, and so grateful that we could go through this process together.  This man by my side really is the best partner ever.

We find out next week if I’m pregnant.  🙂  We’ll keep you posted.

And sending one big THANK YOU to so many who showered us with love and best wishes this weekend.  That was so, so very sweet.  We love you all!!

Mara

1. Sending love your way! I loved all the pics of today's journey for you! xoxo

2. saskia June 10, 2013 at 12:02 pm - Reply

this is so exciting and i'm hoping and praying for you!!!

you both look so, so happy and confident – it's always a pleasure to share your path via your blog.

best wishes from germany,
    saskia

3. carolinebroome June 10, 2013 at 12:20 pm - Reply

so so sweet. thank you for sharing this exciting day with us! i definitely shed a tear. i'll be praying for y'all.

4. maia June 10, 2013 at 12:30 pm - Reply

I cried happy tears when reading sentence below last picture! I wish everything goes well and you both soon let us know about your happiest moment!

5. Kelsey June 10, 2013 at 12:51 pm - Reply

What a great idea to document such a wonderful day. Our fingers will be crossed tightly all week!

6. Emily June 10, 2013 at 1:03 pm - Reply

crossed fingers, prayers & happiness sent your way! This post shares themes with the sermon I preached yesterday–God as bringer of life and joy who dispells the death and darkness around us if we let him! (emilyhylden.com)

7. Heather June 10, 2013 at 1:04 pm - Reply

That's great! Good luck to you! What a fun way to document your experience!

8. ABK June 10, 2013 at 1:10 pm - Reply

Hoping for the very best for you two! I remember my embryo transfer well and am thankful to be watching my three year old twins tear apart the house this rainy morning!

9. Rachel O'Hanlon June 10, 2013 at 2:06 pm - Reply

I have been following your blog, hence your journey, for the past 8 months or so and have been so blessed. Truly. The wisdom you share has made such an impact on how I approach my life. I am just so appreciative!
    Today, when I read the news, I was just thrilled. Please know that my prayers are going out for you both. I am hopeful and cannot wait to hear more good news from you guys!

10. LouLou in Paris June 10, 2013 at 2:20 pm - Reply

Keeping everything crossed very tightly for you two! X

11. Allison June 10, 2013 at 2:46 pm - Reply

Oh! My hopes are so high for you! You will be in my prayers!

Allison

12. Anna C. Winter June 10, 2013 at 3:05 pm - Reply

I love you guys! I'm praying and keeping my fingers crossed. Sending good vibes!

13. Jen Z. June 10, 2013 at 3:06 pm - Reply

Couldn't help but think of you / be excited for you this weekend! Sending you lots of love and prayers!

14. Cindy June 10, 2013 at 3:15 pm - Reply

I've never commented on your blog before but just wanted to say that I saved the petri dish from my embryo transfer. My 12 year old triplets were a little freaked out when I told them what it was… 😉

Praying for your embryos tonigh!

15. RATCH June 10, 2013 at 3:23 pm - Reply

I remember that after transfer wait 🙂 I will be praying for you all!!!

16. Alissa June 10, 2013 at 3:24 pm - Reply

Praying for you guys! Best of luck.

17. Lisette June 10, 2013 at 3:28 pm - Reply

There is power in embracing the moment! Sending well wishes your way!

18. Original Kos June 10, 2013 at 4:48 pm - Reply

Crossing every possible thing waiting for the results. Such a beautiful capture of the experience. Thank you so much for sharing with all of us!

19. The New Diplomats Wife June 10, 2013 at 4:50 pm - Reply

thinking of you!

20. Danielle June 10, 2013 at 5:22 pm - Reply

Prayers your way! I hope you are pregnant!

21. Tiffany June 10, 2013 at 5:31 pm - Reply

Crossing my fingers!

22. Sandi June 10, 2013 at 5:43 pm - Reply

You find out NEXT WEEK?? I'll be praying super hard.

23. Julie June 10, 2013 at 5:53 pm - Reply

So happy for you two! I will keep you in my prayers!

24. Maggie June 10, 2013 at 6:01 pm - Reply

Praying for peace of mind for you and Danny and that the Lord will grant you the desires of your hearts!

25. Darger Party of 3 June 10, 2013 at 7:01 pm - Reply

So excited for you two! Love you both thank you for sharing this with me and everyone and anyone who may need it. As always you are in my thoughts and prayers. Xoxo

26. Kate Legnetti June 10, 2013 at 7:05 pm - Reply

Praying, praying, praying for that little embryo!

27. Anonymous June 10, 2013 at 7:12 pm - Reply

Sending out many positive thoughts for you and Danny!

28. {Jessica} June 10, 2013 at 7:15 pm - Reply

Wishing you the best Mara! Glad the embryo transfer went well and can't wait to hear updates on what happens next. Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way:)

29. helen@handmaidtales June 10, 2013 at 7:38 pm - Reply

Thinking of you two, and your two. Stick babies, stick!

30. shugarlove.com June 10, 2013 at 7:50 pm - Reply

Hi Mara,

I am so excited for you both! My heart is with you. I wish that all your baby dreams come true <3

Carmen {shugarlove.com}

31. Unknown June 10, 2013 at 10:38 pm - Reply

My goodness! I remember this so well… one online friend reminded me that I was "PUPO"- pregnant until proven otherwise. 🙂

I also remember the sweetest thing my husband did: he left me a note that said "I love you and Bun and D'Lovejoy", as in "bundle of joy", but split into two names since there were two embryos in there.

It worked for us. Our daughter is almost 4.

Many blessings to you.

32. Camille June 10, 2013 at 10:43 pm - Reply

I loved this post!!! We did a frozen embryo transfer in February and I felt like we had a lot of the same experiences (except I had a donut on the way instead of a healthy shake… haha). We had three embryos, and only two survived, so it was that "this is it!" feeling. But really, being able to do this and having such a loyal and supportive husband made all the difference — it turned a stressful and scary situation into one of peace and excitement. I am now 19 weeks along with twins! Crazy!

Anyway, my thoughts and prayers are with you guys!

33. molly pinto June 11, 2013 at 1:20 am - Reply

Aw, Mara! Sending the best energy possible your way. You and Danny will make glorious parents, no matter how you end up becoming one. XOXO

34. Anonymous June 11, 2013 at 1:58 am - Reply

Hoping for the very best results for you! Mine never worked, but I do remember the day of my first transfer and how happy and hopeful and peaceful I felt. I had some special shower gel from a friend and I used it that morning thinking that it made it feel like she was there with me. Even though it didn't work out, I still remember that morning as a lovely time. I'm glad you had a happy transfer day!! 🙂

35. Meg June 11, 2013 at 2:59 am - Reply

Such an exciting time! Best wishes to you both!!! I admire your strength and acceptance of whatever happens from this. You have always been an example of strength to me and will be great parents someday!!

36. Allison June 11, 2013 at 3:45 am - Reply

so exciting! sending you good thoughts and prayers!

37. Katie Elizabeth Hawkes June 11, 2013 at 4:25 am - Reply

I love that you documented the baby-making experience. How many other couples can say they have photos of…conception?..for their kids without it being kinky? 🙂

38. Sarah Stäbler June 11, 2013 at 4:30 am - Reply

Sending prayers your way! Stick, babies, stick!

39. Sam June 11, 2013 at 4:42 am - Reply

LOVE this! Crossing my fingers and sending so many prayers your way!

40. Ashley June 11, 2013 at 7:32 am - Reply

Praying!!! You are both such amazing people. Sending love & prayers from Seattle. 🙂

41. Rebecca June 11, 2013 at 6:08 pm - Reply

I remember the excitement and hopefulness of our transfer day very well! We were blessed with healthy, beautiful twin girls earlier this year, IVF is truly amazing! I will be praying for you, Danny and your two little embryos!

42. k8te June 11, 2013 at 6:16 pm - Reply

love that you documented the whole thing in pictures! sending good vibes your way!

43. Linda Löfgren June 11, 2013 at 7:08 pm - Reply

<3 sending love and happiness to you <3

44. Brittany June 11, 2013 at 7:24 pm - Reply

I've never commented before, but I'm a long time reader! GOOD LUCK to you both! Sending love and prayers! So exciting 🙂

45. sarah@boxwoodclippings June 11, 2013 at 7:34 pm - Reply

i have my retrieval this week, and transfer the next. thanks so much for sharing all your details, and reminding me that this is an exciting process and not that scary once you're in it! good luck, can't wait to hear your news next week. 🙂

46. Amy June 11, 2013 at 8:23 pm - Reply

That was such a great post. I love how you documented your drive there! So awesome. Good luck and will be keeping you in our prayers!!

47. Ashleigh Son June 11, 2013 at 9:17 pm - Reply

I am praying for you every day as well. xoxox

48. Laura Rahel June 11, 2013 at 9:49 pm - Reply

Happy thoughts and prayers sent your way! Adore you both- you deserve all the blessings in the world XD

49. Tiffany June 11, 2013 at 11:48 pm - Reply

Sending you wishes of luck!

50. erin m. June 11, 2013 at 11:53 pm - Reply

I can't imagine the anticipation you must be feeling. Praying for you two! xo

51. Karion Banks June 12, 2013 at 2:07 am - Reply

OMG Mara, you are definitely in my prayers. We are all as anxious as you are about getting the great news next week, which is you being a mommy to be! Do not get stressed over worrying about the procedure not working. It will work, I know it will. You and your husband deserves this. I'm betting on triplets 🙂

52. Maddie Dae June 12, 2013 at 2:12 am - Reply

Praying for you!

53. Anonymous June 12, 2013 at 2:57 am - Reply

Crossing fingers and toes for you! I hope this is it!

54. Anonymous June 12, 2013 at 3:41 am - Reply

best wishes, mara and danny! you will be in my prayers – what a beautiful couple you are!!! xoxo

55. SpecialK June 12, 2013 at 10:52 am - Reply

Thinking of you both and wishing you much love & light!
    Wishing you all the very best <3 <3 <3

56. Katie Parent June 13, 2013 at 12:53 am - Reply

I have been following your blog for some time and it has paralleled my own infertility journey. Today was my egg retrieval. I wish you both the best of luck.

57. marlene June 13, 2013 at 1:47 am - Reply

Been so busy only just had time to read this. Best of luck, Danny and Mara. I'm really hoping the best for you two…you give so much to others, I want to see you both happy. Thinking of you!

58. Anonymous October 29, 2013 at 4:12 pm - Reply

I know this post was some months ago but praying everything went well. Love to hear your update.

59. Anonymous January 26, 2014 at 5:57 pm - Reply

I am hiv positive,i am badly want my second child.what should i do?

60. Anonymous September 17, 2014 at 6:50 pm - Reply