Here I Am On Headline News, Raising America

So here it is…my very little segment on Headline News.  The interview was on the fly.  There’s always so much more you wish you could say, but I’m glad I was able to say something at all. Somehow – I really wasn’t nervous that day. This is so unlike me…and anyone who has known me for years could say that I am really someone different now. But, a few years ago, I really did decide to let go of fear. It wasn’t too difficult (which was a miracle to me) because at that time, I finally had something to say and I felt very motivated to try to help people who were in the shoes I was once in.  But that didn’t necessarily mean I was all of sudden SKILLED at sharing things. haha. Oh my. I mean – I had to find words to explain things to people. I stumbled, a lot, trying to share my story and trying to inspire others. But, this was the key…I decided I didn’t care if I stumbled.  I decided I was just going to open my mouth and share something – no matter how it came out.  If I failed, I knew it really didn’t matter.  I was still going to say something, regardless.

Also, one of my articles on infertility was chosen to be one of 10 essays in a new e-book by Babble called “Parenting Uncensored…Straight Talk From Real Moms and Dads on Getting Pregnant.”  It’s such an honor to be included!  I’m so very thankful to share some of my thoughts to a wider audience…especially now, before we do get pregnant.  Somehow, I think it’s more powerful to hear a story of peace while someone is still in the midst of a trial, instead of after.

Wishing everyone a wonderful start of the week!  My big goal this week:  walk or run EVERY SINGLE DAY.  I have gotten out of the habit over the winter, but I’ve been slowly making it happen again.  It’s time to go hard core.  🙂  It’s so worth it.  What about you?  Anything you’ll be working on this week?  It’s always fun to get glimpses into your lives.  🙂
With Love,

Mara
Follow A BLOG ABOUT LOVE on:
Twitter @ablogaboutlove
Pinterest
Facebook (We so appreciate all the “likes”!  thank you.)
ABAL Book Club
Babble Voices & The Equals Record

1. Katy @ All Sorts of Pretty May 20, 2013 at 11:38 am - Reply

So awesome. You are truly an inspiration. I don't know why I was trying not to cry the whole time? You always do this to me, Mara! 🙂

• mara May 21, 2013 at 11:07 pm - Reply

Katy – you're the best…. xoxo thank you

2. Lisette May 20, 2013 at 3:56 pm - Reply

Turning trials into blessings is the real key to being happy in this life. Thanks for sharing and being brave enough to speak out on a subject many women choose to remain private about.

3. Michele May 20, 2013 at 3:56 pm - Reply

That was wonderful! My husband walked in half way through and said, "I love that she knows her worth is more than just having kids…" which is something I struggle with even though I have a baby. (BTW you looked great!)

• mara May 21, 2013 at 11:10 pm - Reply

Michele, thanks so much for your comment. You nailed it. The baby really isn't what gives us worth (which is a relief, as that's too much pressure on someone else). But – babies are a good motivation to work on getting some self worth! 🙂 I guess that worked for me.

4. Miggy May 20, 2013 at 6:30 pm - Reply

Great job. Way to inspire people to rise above their circumstances. You were well spoken, level headed and of course looked smokin. Also, little sidenote, now that I've heard your voice I realize how different it was in my head. Ha! You have a lovely voice, but you know…just different hearing it for the first time.

Anyway, ya did good kid.

• Michelle Bunt May 21, 2013 at 4:03 am - Reply

Haha – I totally thought the same thing – I was like I so didn't imagine you sounding that way in my head.

But, yes, great job!

• mara May 21, 2013 at 11:12 pm - Reply

Hi ladies! I know the feeling. I once heard a blogger speak and was shocked that she sounded so different. Anyway, thanks for the sweet comments. Thanks for all the support you guys always give us. It is seriously worth gold. We can't thank you enough. xo

5. Kitty May 20, 2013 at 9:01 pm - Reply

I think you are wonderful. You make my world a better place!

6. Martha May 20, 2013 at 10:35 pm - Reply

Beautiful interview. You did great and looked beautiful! What an inspiration.

P.S. I'm working on running everyday, too! Good luck to us both! Running makes life worth living (for me, anyway).

• mara May 21, 2013 at 11:13 pm - Reply

Martha, Thank you… and yay for running! K, I've been walking/running everyday for a few days now. I'm so excited to keep this up.

7. Shauna May 21, 2013 at 4:56 am - Reply

Wow! Amazing! You look so wonderful in the interview. So upbeat and positive. I've been through similar struggles with endometriosis. Thank you for being amazing.

8. kim May 21, 2013 at 10:04 am - Reply

Nicely done on a difficult subject- my brother works for CNN and I did an interview favor for him once and I was a nervous wreck! Your make up was flawless BTW.

• mara May 21, 2013 at 11:15 pm - Reply

Oh – thanks on the make-up. I thought they would put some different make-up on me, but she said what I had was fine. And way to go on the interview favor at CNN! ha! That's awesome.

9. Helen May 21, 2013 at 10:34 am - Reply

Mara, you were fantastic.

Quick question: Dr. Toledo said UNrefined sugars can negatively impact fertility. That surprises me. I would think refined sugars with all their negative press would be much worse and much more noteworthy as contributors to infertility. I wonder why he didn't mention refined sugars (which is a major cause of obesity, among other ills) at all, but had unrefined sugars on that list. Any insight?

As always, thank you for being so generous with your spirit.

Cheers,
    Helen

• mara May 21, 2013 at 11:18 pm - Reply

Hi Helen – so…refined or unrefined sugars all have negative impacts on infertility and they all affect your blood sugar levels and overall health. I'm not sure why he just mentioned unrefined, but I'm guessing it wasn't intentional. Thanks so much!

10. Anonymous May 21, 2013 at 12:39 pm - Reply

Mara- Oh my word. We all are so very lucky that you have been brave enough to share your story with us all. I feel blessed that I found your blog soon after you started and your words have helped me so much since then. I am on a 9 year infertility journey, with many ups and downs along the way. It was a treat getting to watch you speak your truth! thank you.

• mara May 21, 2013 at 11:20 pm - Reply

Anon – this comment made me melt. Thank you for writing. And sending you lots of love on your journey.

11. Anonymous May 22, 2013 at 3:34 am - Reply

Mara…this is a different anonymous than the one above,
    We have been trying to conceive for 6 months, so not even technically really infertility yet, but I am coming to terms with the fact this could be a long journey, that may be completely out of my control. I am so grateful for your example of gratitude and optimism. Reading your comments have allowed me to not let fear (of infertility) paralyse my emotions, but instead look forward to the many lessons, experiences, and opportunities to serve I will have whatever comes my way. Thank you so much