“The Cake”

Our friends make this cake a lot and it has become kind of famous in Brooklyn, because everyone loves it.  So yes, it’s now affectionately referred to as “The Cake”.  And Danny kind of goes nuts over it.  It’s definitely not gluten or dairy-free, but I do remember that it IS ridiculously moist.  And yes, this was the cake Danny requested for his birthday.  I was glad when he finally ate up all the leftovers so I didn’t have to keep staring at it.  ðŸ™‚

Behold, the recipe…

THE CAKE

1 yellow cake mix
3.5 oz. vanilla instant pudding
4 eggs
3 T flour
1/2 cup oil (can use applesauce)
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup water

1. Mix all ingredients well.

2. Grease or spray bundt pan well.

3. Mix 1/2 cup sugar and 3 t. cinnamon. Sprinkle enough in greased pan to
cover inside of pan. Save rest for later.

4. Put 1/3 of batter in pan. Sprinkle with about 1/3 remaining
sugar/cinnamon mixture. Using knife, swirl mixture into batter slightly.

5. Repeat step 4 twice.

6. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Wait a few minutes before turning out
onto cooling rack.

(FYI, I didn’t make that cake, above.  I forgot to take a picture of the one I made!  oops.  But the one above looks just like the way this cake turns out.   Only we don’t add icing, but just serve the cake warm with a dollop of whipped cream.)

(image from Nestle Kitchens)

Follow A BLOG ABOUT LOVE on:
Twitter @ablogaboutlove
Pinterest

Facebook
 (We so appreciate all the “likes”!  thank you.)
ABAL Book Club
Babble Voices & The Equals Record

1. Lena H March 29, 2013 at 12:21 pm - Reply

I'm so bummed it's not gluten/dairy free! I would love to expand my gluten/dairy free recipe catalogue. Please share some of your favorites. Pretty, pretty please!! 🙂

2. Anna March 29, 2013 at 1:21 pm - Reply

Hi Mara! A while ago you talked about a gf, df chocolate tart. Do you have a recipe for that? Thanks!

• mara March 29, 2013 at 4:24 pm - Reply

YES! I have that one almost ready to post 🙂 I'm so bad with these food styling photos. Oh dear. I bow down to those food bloggers. But yes, I have something to share and it will be coming up soon – Prob. nxt week!

3. Lauren March 29, 2013 at 2:30 pm - Reply

Oh my gosh- this is almost identical to my family's Christmas morning coffee cake! We only make it for Christmas and I wait all year for that cake! The recipe is here: http://plumfieldshop.blogspot.com/2010/12/i-wish-i-had-river-i-could-skate-away.html , but you can see that there are just a couple of slight ingredient changes. I don't blame Danny for loving it- it's my favorite cake in the world 🙂

4. katilda March 29, 2013 at 4:17 pm - Reply

I bet you could buy gluten-free cake mix and sub applesauce for the sour cream and at least get kind of close to the same taste/texture….? Just a thought from a gluten-free reader who's always looking to modify my own favorite recipes 🙂

5. Jessica W. Clark March 29, 2013 at 6:01 pm - Reply

I make the exact same cake except I've done chocolate and lemon. With the lemon, you get lemon cake mix, and lemon pudding mix, and instead of the cinnamon I put in white chocolate chips. It is so GOOD that I don't even put frosting on it, and I'm one who usually just eats the cake to get to the frosting. Oh, and the chocolate cake you just do chocolate cake & pudding mix, with chocolate chips. I need to try your version though, it looks amazing!

• Anonymous March 30, 2013 at 6:39 pm - Reply

Hi Jessica, do you still use the sugar along with the chocolate chips? What size bag of chocolate chips is used? Thanks!

• Jessica W. Clark April 1, 2013 at 1:38 pm - Reply

No sugar, and its a cup of chocolate chips, and you just add them very last in the mix.

6. Stacia March 31, 2013 at 1:49 pm - Reply

YUM!!!! I will have to try this recipe!!

7. Ethnic Food June 6, 2014 at 5:34 am - Reply

i prefer eating cakes on every occasion.