I saw recently that Gabrielle Blair’s grandmother loved the color yellow and was known for that. I thought it was sweet, but I didn’t really think about the color yellow again until now…
I saw a little tidbit on Oprah that said Gayle King uses the color yellow in her life as much as possible. Why? She says because “It’s impossible to see yellow and not feel happy.” She’s painted her kitchen yellow, wears yellow, etc.
This got me thinking. Yellow really is a happy color. I think it really does make me happy to see pops of yellow here and there. Mood experts say that just like the sun, the color yellow is indeed associated with cheerfulness, optimism, self esteem, courage and energy.
So…I was thinking..in honor of our desire to stay on track and keep ourselves well this winter, why don’t we all purposefully try to incorporate a pop of yellow into our lives? It can’t hurt, right? If anything, it can just be a little visual reminder to us to be proactive about our happiness. Here are some ideas to get us started…(warning: I went a little crazy on this! And I’m giving away some yellow gifts from my own stash of Harvey Faircloth 🙂
1. Pinterest Board. I put together an all YELLOW Pinterest board. Might as well have yellow on the brain while I’m on the web. 🙂 I can’t lie, it’s so fun to look at it and it makes me happy. Join me and start one! You can see mine here.
2. Lemons. I’ve been trying to buy lemons more regularly. I love lemon water. And lemon slushies (shaved lemon ice w/ stevia). OK, and this lemon image: Herman Miller Summer Picnic by Stephen Frykkhold, at the MoMa.
3. Front Door. Someday I’d love to have a yellow door. I’d take that with a cottage in the Hudson Valley 🙂
5. Spring in a Box. One of my friends (none other than the amazing Brooke from Inchmark) used to live in Brooklyn and sent out these cheerful packages to help everyone get through the last bit of winter. Genius. See her awesome post about it here. (photos by Brooke.)
6. Bracelets. This would be such an easy way to add yellow to any outfit.
7. Scarf. A bright yellow scarf like this would look stunning with a black wool coat. I’ll be checking the vendors on the streets in New York.
10. Shoelaces. Danny and I both have yellow laces on our running shoes. I kind of like the hit of color as I go on my walks or runs.
11. Office Supplies. Post-it notes. Folders. Notebooks. Journals. We spend so much time at our desks and computers. It would be fun to see what yellow finds you could get at Staples.
12. Socks. I think a pair of these would give me happy feet. 🙂
13. Hand Soap / Bath Products. I have nearly an all white bathroom with black floors. I think some yellow products are just what I need in there. These are some great picks: Savon de Marseille, Mrs. Meyers, Method, Agua de Colonia Concentrada (this line of products from Spain smells amazing…I love the perfumed spray. You can buy it at The Bathroom store in the West Village)
14. Home Items. You can’t go wrong with this.
15. Pastilles. I used to be afraid to fly and someone told me about Rescue Pastilles. I think they helped! I’m not afraid of flying anymore (actually due to all the things I now write about on this blog), but I still have these pastilles around and I just love the bright yellow tin.
16. Limonata. Our favorite drink. I used to stock these every time Danny came to visit me in New York. And I’d send him home with these on his late night drives back to Boston. They keep you awake!
17. Meyer Lemon Tree. I’ve wanted one of these for ages. These guys seem to know their lemon trees.
Cheers to more yellow! Will you join me?
OK, maybe I’m such a dork :), but if you have a pop of yellow that makes you happy, would you send me a picture? It would be so fun to see. (Simple i-phone pics will do.) Send to email@example.com with the word YELLOW in the subject line. It would be fun to share your pics on the blog if that’s ok (send any of your blog/website links if you’d like me to include them. Anonymous pics are ok, too, if you prefer.) No deadline. Keep them coming whenever. 🙂
And last but not least…
I happen to have a stash of Harvey Faircloth from our first season collection. How cute are these Apron Tops? (They’re inspired by an apron pattern from Katie’s vintage pattern collection). They’re made of 100% Silk Taffetta with a gold button detail in the back. (You can see me wearing one here.) As a thank you for all the support you guys give this blog, I’d love to give away several of these tops. If you’d like one, please leave a comment here – any comment will do – and in a week (on Nov. 26) we’ll choose several people to receive a top. It will make me so happy to give these to you. 🙂
Facebook (We so appreciate all the “likes”! thank you.)
ABAL Book Club
Babble Voices & The Equals Record