Unfortunately, I don't have many pictures. There was just too much to do that my fingers never found my phone hidden somewhere under my work gear. But my heart - oh my - it wanted to take pictures of everything. There was something extraordinary happening everywhere you looked...
1. Hundreds from our group in yellow vests + the military + NY Sanitation = one heck of a clean-up day. The site of it was unbelievable.
2. The residents there were grateful. Ever so grateful. "God Bless You" they said - over and over and over - many with tears in their eyes.
3. We saw the cutest little herd of boy scouts that you've ever seen. So innocent and sweet amidst pure destruction. It seemed like no place for children, but they came down the street pulling wagons and handing out snacks and drinks. And yes, they were in full uniform! So freaking adorable.
4. And well - Staten Island seems to love Romney. And they loved him even more when they found out most of our group were Mormons. "Oh, we voted for Romney" they made sure to tell us :). One woman said her radio was to her ear on election night as she anxiously awaited the news in the dark of her flooded home. Another resident wanted a picture of a huge group of us and said "Ok, ready...1, 2, 3... everybody say Romney!" Kind of hilarious, since nearly all of the group were Democrats. haha. Everyone just smiled.
5. We saw a very well dressed couple with two middle school children walking around. They reminded me of the polished families from the Upper East Side. They were walking the muddy streets and knocking on each door, delivering food and water to anyone who needed it.
6. In some homes we worked along side the home owners. We sometimes took breaks with them and drank Gatorades together. The feeling of community was unforgettable.
7. And this dude. Yes, this happy car. He helped us transport bag after bag of soaked sheet rock. Sometimes you just make do with what you can find. He was tireless. :)
And now - to bed we go with very full hearts.
Looking forward to seeing you back here tomorrow.
Follow A BLOG ABOUT LOVE on:
Facebook (We so appreciate all the "likes"! thank you.)
ABAL Book Club
Babble Voices & The Equals Record