I have been obsessed with skin products ever since I was a young girl. It started in 1989 with a transparent, copper colored bar of Neutrogena. (It felt so fancy and grown-up using that, because it wasn’t a bar of Zest.) I may have used a Buf Puf, followed by Sea Breeze astringent and a cotton ball. Or my mom’s St. Ives Apricot Scrub and her Oil of Olay. Oh, and then those Indian clay masks. Yep. We did those. (“We” being myself and 4 sisters. Yes, I have 4! sisters! 🙂 And then came Clinique’s (3) step program (of course, purchases were coordinated according to the “Bonus Time” free gifts that we watched the newspaper for.) Every routine was completed, of course, with a chapstick application from Avon. (And yes, I’m surprised that I could provide links to all of these as they actually still exist.)
Well, I’ve tried a lot of products over the years. But in true junkie fashion, I’ve loved every minute of it. I don’t expect you to be as nutso as I am over products, but in case you’d like to know, here are the products I use now.
OK, here’s my current routine…..
1. DAIRY-FREE. Oh man, my skin drastically changed when I went dairy-free. I’d never seen such a change in my skin, so I decided that I didn’t need icecream that bad. But I’ve already written about it a lot. See here for more about why I went dairy-free. And in case you want to give it a try, find out all of my staples here, in my dairy-free survival guide.
2. CLARISONIC. All the reviews sucked me in. I bought one on Craigslist (I have this model, here), got some new brushes, and have been loving it ever since. I think it has made a HUGE impact on my skin – – it just feels softer and looks healthier. I remember when I first used it I was like…that’s IT? It didn’t feel like it really did anything. I guess I was expecting it to really scrub the heck out of my skin & give it a major exfoliation. Instead, it is subtle. But apparently it’s just the perfect amount to make a difference…because it made it’s way to #2 on my list. I use it twice a day.
3. APPLE CIDER VINEGAR. I started this routine after reading about it on The Daily Muse (see here on Rebecca’s blog for the water to ACV ratio). I am a sucker for any natural products, especially ones that are cheap & really work. This toner seems to heal up any blemishes and keeps them at bay. I use the ACV twice a day. If any blemish does come around, it seems it doesn’t have a chance. Also, after using this for awhile + being Dairy-Free, I was at Khiel’s and they asked the old question, “Are you oily or dry?” NEITHER! 🙂 🙂 🙂 For once in my life, my skin feels balanced. (Also, I really do have to recommend that you get Braggs. Cause isn’t that branding just kind of awesome? 🙂
4. KHIEL’S ULTRA FACIAL MOISTURIZER BY DAY & KHIEL’S ABYSSINE CREAM BY NIGHT. This stuff has made my skin feel & look soft. I got some in a gift bag at a dinner at Alt Summit last January, and I’ve been savoring the stuff ever since. No break-outs to report, it’s more like I’m surprised at my own skin. Khiel’s is expensive (yes), but I make it last. (Also, visit Khiel’s for free samples! I first discovered their samples 12 years ago when I came across the original, old-school Khiel’s Pharmacy on 3rd Ave. in the City. I had never heard of Khiel’s until then, but had died and gone to heaven 🙂
5. BLISS FACE WASH. I have a bottle of this because it was a gift from a friend. But I really like it – and it isn’t causing any problems. When this bottle is gone, I will likely start using an all-natural face wash. But for now, this seems to be great. I just dab a little on the Clarisonic & use it morning & night.
6. AVON CARE DEEPLY CHAPSTICK. I guess some things never change. I put this chapstick on every morning and night – and keep some by my computer. I have tried other lip products here & there, but I keep coming back to Avon. Hello, 99 cents. Plus, what else can give you nostalgic memories of the Avon Lady coming to visit or Avon in your Christmas stocking??
So tell me, have you used any products for over a decade (or two?) Or at least amuse us all with your 80s or 90s skincare routine…. 🙂
Facebook (We so appreciate all the “likes”! thank you.)
ABAL Book Club (Discussion about Man’s Search for Meaning started Aug. 1. Buy the book here.)
Babble Voices & The Equals Record