Six Things to Always Say to Your Spouse

Here’s a snap shot of the back of a book that my friend, Abby, saw while in a book store.  It was so sweet that it nearly made me cry when I read it.  The book is entitled “All There Is” and it’s a compilation of love stories from StoryCorps.  The back cover has a story about a man reflecting on his marriage of 53 years with his late wife, Vivian.  He shares six things to always say to your spouse.  Oh, this is good stuff……there are few things more beautiful than an older husband and wife who still have so much love for each other.

This reminds me of a line that Danny asks me nearly daily……and he says it so very sincerely every single time:  “Is there anything I can do for you?”  It makes me melt to pieces every time he does it.  I hardly ever have something for him to do for me (cause he already does so much) but I still love that he still asks….it really does make me feel loved.
Are there any lines in your marriage that seem to work like a charm?
**************************************

The calendar today says “Spring Begins”.  Hopefully it’s feeling like spring now where you are.  New York could not be any more glorious.  The tree blossoms are about to burst and I’ve been feeling like a school girl on my bike, riding around town with a big smile.

FYI, I’ll have another post up today!  (You may have noticed that happens from time to time!  Though I’m thinking of making it a regular Tue./Thurs. afternoon edition.  I guess I just have way too much to share with you!  🙂

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

-Mara

P.S.  Don’t forget, you can still order a brass cuff & earrings from the jewelry designer here in Brooklyn, Sarah Alice.  I’ve seen some girls wearing these items at church and they look fantastic!

UPDATE:  Look what a reader sent me! (inspired by today’s post)…I love it !!

Marriage Advice

Follow @ablogaboutlove on Twitter

1. Sarah March 20, 2012 at 6:39 am - Reply

aww…. My husband asks me multiple times a day, "How are you doing?" and we also ask each other, "Are we good?" whenever there's an anything but pleasant vibe in the room. I just stumbled upon your blog recently and I've fallen in love with you two! I took your "be vulnerable" advice today on my blog (http://thescratchpadmom.blogspot.com/2012/03/vulnerable.html) and got some great feedback. Brene Brown sure knows what she's talking about. I've hardly been able to put her book, "I thought it was just me" down the past couple days. Thanks for all you're doing! P.S. We're moving to Baltimore soon and when we take a trip to NY I just might take you up on your offer to go for a walk through that park 🙂

2. Charlotte {Charlotte's Web} March 20, 2012 at 9:35 am - Reply

Very cute, I'll be showing my boyfriend this. He falls down on the 'you look great' part – apparently it doesn't need to be said, but girls need that reassurance! x

3. Danielle March 20, 2012 at 11:46 am - Reply

I teared up there. What a wonderful marriage they have. My hubby calls me "beautiful". Its a nickname he tagged for me and naturally it makes me feel beautiful. I call him "sexy" or "good looking man". "I love you forever" is said at least twice a day and a hug and kiss in the morning and evening is the minimum for affection. Affection melts away our stress and anger. I hope to say those kind words fifty years from now. I wish and strive for the cute old couple still madly in love.

4. Lottie March 20, 2012 at 1:18 pm - Reply

How beautiful is that story. We say I love you all the time, prob fr too much, but I wouldn't have it any other way and my husband always tells me I look great even when I think he must be blind 😉

5. Cecilia March 20, 2012 at 1:34 pm - Reply

That is so romantic.
    The line in our marriage that works right now: I love you more today than yesterday. It makes us laugh when yesterday may have been a rough day, and it makes us beam with happiness when we know yesterday was awesome and today was even better. It's a bit of a promise for tomorrow too.

6. Sara March 20, 2012 at 2:41 pm - Reply

This brought tears to my eyes! Every day when I get home, my boyfriend and I ask each other how our days went. It grounds us and let's us re-live the day with each other.

7. Anonymous March 20, 2012 at 2:45 pm - Reply

My husband and I followed those exact points and I have to say we had a very charmed and successful marriage. Having been married only two years and 17 days before he passed away, I will never know if it would have stood the test of time, but I'd like to think so. I really needed this today, approacthing the three year mark of his passing, thank you! The last bit is especially true and relatable. Our love affair was short but was enough to sustain my life evermore.

• mara March 30, 2012 at 6:12 pm - Reply

Anon – my heart! Your words just hit me so hard. wow. So glad that the love you had was so beautiful. What a gift. All the best to you always….sending you love.

8. Christy March 20, 2012 at 4:50 pm - Reply

Nothing makes me happier than when the hubby says "let's eat out" 🙂

9. Tamra March 20, 2012 at 7:06 pm - Reply

My husband and I always ask each other, "Will you marry me?" It's fun because I proposed to him the first time, way back when, and it's also a reassurance to both of us that we'd totally do it all again! The line works when it's been a hard day ("Would you really marry me for days like THIS?!") and when it's been a blissful day ("Could you have imagined marriage could be this great?!"). It's nice to have a line that's so simple and powerful.

10. Natalie Jane March 21, 2012 at 1:50 am - Reply

You look really nice in that outfit.

Can I see you without it tonight?

• mara March 30, 2012 at 6:08 pm - Reply

Natalie – – do you know what is so funny? I got this comment on my phone and at first I didn't see what post you were responding to. In the first second I thought it was a random comment directed at me. LOL. And then I realize what post it was for!!! man, just realized you guys may not visit brooklyn again…if you do, stay with us!!! We'll be your new BK family.

11. Linn March 21, 2012 at 6:04 pm - Reply

Mara,
    I love reading your blog. It is an inspiration to all couples – young and old. My husband and I are both "second marriagers" and have been married for 12 years. Hubs is also 12 years older than I am 🙂
    He works with people, helping them, everyday and his job is very stressful. Before he leaves, every morning, he always asks: "What can I do to help you today?" It still melts me like "buttah".
    I also take some medicine that has to be taken each morning as soon as I get up and 1/2 hour before my coffee!! He gets up earlier than I do, so he makes a point of, every morning, bringing the med and water to me before I ever get up so that I can sleep that extra 1/2 hour and be ready to have some caffeine when I do.

• mara March 30, 2012 at 6:08 pm - Reply

That is SO sweet. thank you for sharing…

12. Laura August 22, 2012 at 5:41 pm - Reply

I love this article, and I think it's a great tip. I recently split with a long term partner, and I think it was this appreciation for each other in our lives that caused things to drift apart. I love the six things to say! It made me smile 🙂

13. Good Morning May 20, 2013 at 8:15 pm - Reply

This is really sweet. Sometimes my husband of 16 years will ask me to marry him. Most of the time I say yes. Sometimes I jokingly ask him if my father or his father knows about this.