Our Home in Brooklyn

I always love seeing people’s homes.  In fact, it seems you become even closer friends with someone once you’ve sat on their couch.  So today, I’m happy to give you a glimpse of where we live.  We’re so thankful for Rebecca Baust of The Daily Muse for taking these photographs.  I love her style so much (she also posted about our home tour here, if you want to check it out.)

Danny & I live in a simple home, but we’ve been very happy here.  In New York you learn to be very content with less space & fewer belongings.  We also live extremely busy lifestyles here like most New Yorkers, so we don’t really fuss much over our home.

[Blue Knoll chair from Craigslist; galvanized book shelf from a hardware store (these are similar); ceiling light fixture, above, by Normann Copenhagen.]

I moved in 6 years ago and gut renovated the kitchen and two bathrooms, which was a huge project.  Since then I haven’t done much decorating, actually.  Whatever you see has just come together here & there.  One of these days I need to put some thought into it & spruce it up a bit.  And I’d still love to put together a little kids’ area in our second bedroom for all of our friends’ kids.  (Coffee table found on the street on the way to a dentist appt., carried several blocks & hid in the bushes until the appt. was done; sofa & light fixture from Design Within Reach; pillows from Refinery in Brooklyn, thick folded plexiglass table on the left from an antique store in Bucks County, window boxes from Chelsea Garden)

(Little school desk from the street, white file from Ikea, red drawers from Bisley, clock was a gift, terrarium made by a friend.)
(Guitars are Danny’s, Herman Miller lounge chair from E-bay, Polish poster from Posteritati in Little Italy, colorful children’s book collection from my grandfather)
 (Coat rack by Desu Design, an industrial designer in Williamsburg.)

(Can collection from E-bay & Barney’s)
(Danny’s guitars:  an acoustic Taylor 214CE and a Fender Stratocaster)

(Vintage Danish Holmegaarde glass from E-bay, cupboards from Ikea, kitchen faucet by Dornbracht, shelves from Ikea.  We love our appliances added during the renovation: Liebherr refrigerator, Wolf range, Bosch microwave & dishwasher, Thermador oven.  The Maneki Neko cats were at our wedding luncheon in a Chinese diner, so it makes me happy to have them around 🙂
(Bed from Ikea, G stands for “George Jasper” – my nephew.  I bought it for him but then they ended up calling him “Jasper” so the G is still hanging out 🙂
(Little red vintage lamp from the street [my favorite street find], table from White on White in Williamsburg, globe from Trailer Park in North Slope.)
(Mirror from Ikea, Brooklyn map from Ork Posters (needs to be hung), table from an antique store.)
(Chair from Craigslist, another poster that needs to be hung – a Polish one from Posteritati, Tizio lamp by Artemide.)
(Dresser from Ikea, “Danny & Mara” letters from Canal Plastic, letterpressed print of the Salt Lake Temple by Cameron Moll.)
And these photos of our bathroom I had in my archives, but thought I’d share…

(Sink by Duravit, shower fixtures by KWC, rectangular soaking tub by Zuma, toilet by Phillipe Starck, light fixture by Artemide.)

(Black granite floor tile from Home Depot)

Follow @ablogaboutlove on Twitter

1. Anonymous March 29, 2012 at 6:08 am - Reply

This is certainly not "simple." Your apartment is beautiful and much nicer than any NYC home I've ever been to! You made great choices during your renovation – I love it all.

• mara March 29, 2012 at 8:50 pm - Reply

thank you so much! I love renovating. It was my third one in new york…though, it's been awhile. Maybe Danny & I will renovate a home together in the future…so we can pull our hair out together 🙂

2. Charlotte {Charlotte's Web} March 29, 2012 at 8:15 am - Reply

Such a pretty yet simple home, I love it x

3. Punky J March 29, 2012 at 8:35 am - Reply

I love that your books are color coordinated onto your bookshelves 🙂

• mara March 29, 2012 at 8:58 pm - Reply

punky – thx! – it made a mess of books look a little nicer 🙂 Danny said when he saw it: I never thought my accounting text books could look cool!" 🙂

4. Robyn March 29, 2012 at 9:55 am - Reply

i found your blog through the apartment link up- your place is fantastic!

5. Susan March 29, 2012 at 10:42 am - Reply

Looks great…love the can collection, and Rebecca's photography! I read her blog daily, love when the online community feels so small and friendly!

6. Andrea March 29, 2012 at 2:05 pm - Reply

I love the unfussy, calm look of your home. The cans are such a nice, simple touch and I'm so glad to hear that you love your kitchen appliances : ) We just ordered a wolf range and I'm like an anxious little kid waiting for it to arrive!

• mara March 29, 2012 at 8:58 pm - Reply

oooooh… you will love it!!

7. Ross March 29, 2012 at 2:46 pm - Reply

Why did you take down Danny's Twilight poster?

• mara August 1, 2013 at 6:20 pm - Reply

haha. Danny DID see Twilight somehow way back. Though wasn't a fan. I haven't seen it so I can't comment. 🙂

8. Desi McKinnon March 29, 2012 at 4:12 pm - Reply

very organized. lovely. i have one suggestion… for feng shui sake put a third Maneki Neko cat next to your wedding cats. get some groups of three happening so that baby can get on it's way quicker 😉

• mara March 29, 2012 at 9:00 pm - Reply

Desi – THANKS for the suggestion! I love the idea of feng shui and should prob. read up on it some more for this apt. I will have to get a third wedding cat! That will make a whole family of them 🙂 Thanks for the suggestion.

9. Maria March 29, 2012 at 4:14 pm - Reply

love everything!

10. Cheltz March 29, 2012 at 4:59 pm - Reply

I love all the white — very peaceful and calm, and just makes the bits of color stand out even more. Someday, I'd like to try this myself, but for now I'm saturating my spaces. You have quite a few nice midcentury pieces too. Craigslist in NY looks a lot more exciting than craigslist around these parts!

11. Jacy March 29, 2012 at 5:19 pm - Reply

ooooooooooo…… what I love most are the guitars!! I have a Taylor 414CE… And Danny, you will appreciate this… my dad has let me borrow his Taylor 914CE the last few months! I'm in LOVE! Taylors are the BEST 🙂

Great house guys… love the very crisp, clean feel of it! 🙂

12. Julie March 29, 2012 at 6:28 pm - Reply

beautiful!

13. Sandi March 29, 2012 at 6:52 pm - Reply

You have a beautiful home!
    But I have to say my favorite part of this post is about how you hid the table in the bushes. Priceless.

• mara March 29, 2012 at 9:03 pm - Reply

hahaha. Yeah. That's Brooklyn for you. I need to do a photo series of people carrying furniture on the streets – filing cabinets, two people carrying a couch, bar stools, you name it. It one of those funny things about new york. People just smile if they see it and think, "I've done that before."

14. Taylor March 29, 2012 at 6:55 pm - Reply

I wish I lived in a place where people just throw out these amazing items onto the street. How fun to lug it down the street and hide it behind the bushes. Like a little adventure and a cool story to go along with your little coffee table.

• mara March 29, 2012 at 9:04 pm - Reply

yeah – it's an adventure. you're reminding me I should get out more & see what's sitting out & about. Spring is a good time of year to find things. I found a little mid century baby chair, too, that is SO cute. It didn't make it in the photos.

15. Briana March 29, 2012 at 11:34 pm - Reply

The Cameron Moll letterpress print graces a wall in our master, too! Love it. Beautiful, orderly home. Thanks for sharing!

16. Dominique March 30, 2012 at 3:47 am - Reply

Mara, your place is gorgeous. And I love the letter "G". I was talking to Jasper about his name, just today on the way home from school. He has two middle names, one mine and one his, and so he was confused. I explained that George is really his first name, and Jasper his second. I could see his little forehead crinkle up in the rear view mirror as he was trying to work that one out. Silence for a moment, then he asked, "can Jasper be my first name, George can be my second name, and then… I want "soda head" to be my third name." So if you get inspired to buy him anymore letters, please don't forget "S" and "H".

17. mara March 30, 2012 at 3:56 am - Reply

Dom – ohhhh…I love Jasper. That is hilarious & so sweet!!

18. Narcisse Greenway July 6, 2012 at 9:32 pm - Reply

This is incredibly way past when you posted this, BUT! Where did you get your couch? I'm kind of a perfectionist and want a long modern couch but with TWO PILLOWS. Not one or three like all of the ones I'm finding! Oh and your apartment is gorgeousss. I'm currently drooling, no big deal.

• mara August 1, 2013 at 6:22 pm - Reply

The couch is from Design Within Reach. We've been super happy with it…though I wish it was a wee bit wider for two person cuddling. We still make it work, though. 🙂 But if we ever have more space we'll want a slightly deeper couch.

19. Narcisse Greenway July 6, 2012 at 9:33 pm - Reply

Just scrolled up to drool some more and saw it's from Design Within Reach, oops!