How to Wear Oxfords

How to wear oxfords

summer oxfords

For me, I love the idea of oxfords cause they’re typically a man’s shoe – so it’s slightly unexpected on a woman.  BUT, what makes them different on a woman is you can pair them with your fun, feminine, colorful clothes & you can wear them with really casual outfits, which again, is a bit unexpected.  I wouldn’t wear them with a work suit, for example.  Let the men do that.

And, I like to see the ankles!  It keeps it feminine and casual.

Here’s a few ideas to get you started, if you’ve never worn them before….

Wear oxfords with:

1.  SKINNY JEANS or LOOSE JEANS or CROPPED PANTS.
-Just roll up the jeans a bit, if the pants are long.
-Wear with socks in a cute color or pattern (i.e. Stripes!  Even bold ones, like these!)
-Or wear without socks.

2.  DRESSES OR SKIRTS.
-Add some tights. (I see this look every Sunday – many of my friends at church pair their vintage dresses with oxfords and tights.  SO cute.)
-Or wear without socks on warm days.

3.  SHORTS.
-Add some tights (if still chilly).  I love that look.
-Or wear without socks.

4. WIDE LEG PANTS.
-This style won’t show your ankles, but with super wide leg pants, I still love the look of a flat oxford underneath.

photo credits:  1. The Examiner  2.  Retro Vintage Shoes  3. The Sartorialist  4.  Zigoti  5.  The Sartorialist

Follow @ablogaboutlove on Twitter

1. Rebecca March 15, 2012 at 1:35 am - Reply

I love my Oxfords! As versatile as ballet flats, but a bit more interesting. And you definitely have to show a little ankle.

rebeccahearts.com

2. Rebecca March 15, 2012 at 1:35 am - Reply

rebeccahearts.com

3. Sally March 15, 2012 at 4:45 am - Reply

I love this post! And your blog in general. I agree with someone else that you should definitely post more fashion and beauty tips like these. They are just too fun! Also, I am going to Boston for my 10-year anniversary this year and would love tips from you and Danny on what to do while we're there. Maybe a potential blog post? Thanks for sharing your light!

4. Thalia March 15, 2012 at 4:46 am - Reply

I love the oxfords but how the heck does Sienna Miller always manage to have the most amazing washes of jeans?! Seriously. Someone could probably do a blog based solely on her jeans.

5. Miggy March 15, 2012 at 10:18 pm - Reply

I bought some oxfords in the late 90's (think back to when swing dancing was in, I think oxfords were a very classic 40's look–J. Crew used to have some AMAZING saddle shoe type oxfords. I've even looked on line to see if I can find pics or even old pairs on ebay) Anyway…I loved these shoes. So comfy, so versatile and I wore them until I had holes in the soles. If I would have known how much I would love them I would have bought 10 pair. Come to think of it, I actually bought them in NYC on my very first visit. I definitely need to get some more.

6. Anonymous March 15, 2012 at 10:32 pm - Reply

Thanks for the photos. Makes me think I could actually pull it off. Now to find out where I can try some on. (I live in the less than fashion forward part of Utah.) I'll simply have to plan a trip to NYC to visit my sister! Good reason for a get away; don't ya think. Thanks from the style challenged.

7. Be myself April 16, 2012 at 2:09 am - Reply

me encantaaaan los oxford! saludos de Perú

8. SanazAlamode September 26, 2012 at 10:42 pm - Reply

I just purchased some leopard ones cant wait to wear them!! Great post

9. Anonymous December 26, 2012 at 3:47 pm - Reply

Where can a person find a good pair of oxfords ?

10. Anonymous May 24, 2013 at 10:02 am - Reply

i like oxfords, but i have question. They didnt make your feet unpleasant smell after wear without socks all day? Because my do that. Feet cant breath in hot summer day and start to sweat a lot. When i took them off after 6 hours my toes was wrikle like i put them to the watter for 3hour. Is it normal?