3 Beauty Tips for Spring

Today:  Three beauty tips I can pass onto you beauties as we go into this Spring weekend…..
 1.  This is my new favorite lipstick – a slightly shocking hot pink number, by Nars, called “Carthage“.  It’s super matte, glides on easily, doesn’t dry out lips, isn’t super messy, lasts a really long time, and it looks good with just about everything…

Nars Carthage

2.  LOVING this hair style from Madewell‘s Spring catalog.  I love that it’s a really, really loose & super thick halo braid + it’s a little messy.  I hope to try it this weekend.  (& really, I just love anything from Madewell.)  See Rubi’s crown braid tutorial here (she’s my favorite hair stylist).

Crown Braid

3.  Baking Soda Teeth Whitener…  This is one of my almost-free beauty tips.  Just dab a little baking soda on your tooth brush (I keep a little jar of it in my bathroom) and then brush for a couple of minutes, then rinse.  Only do this once every two weeks, as needed.  It really works.  It’s all natural.  And it’s a ton cheaper than any other whitening product.  (Though be careful:  Baking soda is abrasive and can damage your enamel, so don’t overuse it!  Read more about that here.)
How to keep your teeth white
Do you have any beauty tips to pass along?  Spring makes me want to freshen up my routine & try new things.
Happy Weekend everyone!  Danny & I will be relaxing a bunch.  It’s been a busy week for us.  Though I’m hoping we can fit in a bike ride together.  🙂
Take care,
-MK

Follow @ablogaboutlove on Twitter

1. rebecca March 9, 2012 at 1:31 pm - Reply

my mom used to tell me to do the baking soda thing to whiten my teeth. thanks for the reminder!! great tip. 🙂

2. Della Marie March 9, 2012 at 2:29 pm - Reply

Lipstick always makes me so nervous! But it looks so good on everyone else, so why not me? Maybe I'll just take the plunge! Thanks for recommending a good one.

• mara March 10, 2012 at 4:09 pm - Reply

Yes! Go for it. haha. I never wore bright lipstick before, either…but a few years ago I went for it and it's definitely fun to wear every once in a while. 🙂

3. JEREMYandCHELSEA March 9, 2012 at 7:21 pm - Reply

I've been looking for a bright pink lipstick . Maybe I'll give that one a try! Thanks for the suggestions!

• mara March 10, 2012 at 4:10 pm - Reply

If you want one that isn't quite so shocking – you can try Nars "Funny Face" – this is another all time favorite of mine.

4. Anonymous March 9, 2012 at 9:01 pm - Reply

Not sure how to post a comment since I don't have a profile, but my name is Jennie. I love your sense of style and look forward to seeing your outfits and the way you pull things together. I am limited by budget, and don't live in a place with lots of boutiques or other options. I wonder if you might be up for spending a day at Gap or Target and posting on what you find. Thanks.

• mara March 10, 2012 at 4:11 pm - Reply

Yes! I'll try doing that some time. Old Navy, too. 🙂

5. Diana March 13, 2012 at 7:52 pm - Reply

Hi Mara, Great meeting you yesterday! This blog is fantastic, as is the pink lipstick. 🙂

Also, I didn't know you could put baking soda directly on your teeth, though I've definitely used it to polish up tarnished silver. And good to know about proceeding with caution!

6. Jen on Beauty February 5, 2015 at 11:48 pm - Reply

Handy treatments like baking soda and dilute alum solution help with relieving pain from canker sores