Sophie Blackall – I Want Your Poster

On Valentine’s Day I was on the subway, heading up to the Legos Store at Rockefeller, when I spotted this lovely piece of artwork on the train.  It’s by Sophie Blackall and it’s part of the MTA ‘Arts for Transit‘ program.  I immediately was drawn into this sweet display of New Yorkers.  Every little interaction she depicts is one that I’ve seen before.
I was also delighted to see this enjoyable little video about the artist and her thoughts about this poster. It made me want to purchase the poster even more.  Luckily we can purchase them here for $24.95.

This poster would make a nice addition to the other things I have been collecting for a children’s room someday.  haha.  Maybe one day I’ll actually hang something in the one-day nursery.  Currently it’s just a modge podge of giveaway piles, water storage, old books and piles of laundry.

For all you people trying to have children, do you collect things for children?  Do you have lists of favorite baby names, children’s activities, traditions & crafts?   I do.

Have you sort of set up a space for children in your home?  I haven’t done that yet.  But I think I might.  All my friends have children (whom I adore!) so why not create a little space for them?…..plus it gives me an excuse to buy these chairs that I’ve been eyeing for awhile (thanks to Liz Stanley & Jordan Ferney).

xo,

Mara

P.S.  HAPPY WEEKEND TO ALL!!  Hope you have something fun ahead.  A fashion photographer wants to do a fashion shoot in my apartment so I’ll be busy.  I’ve been trying to get this place in order & now I don’t want to stop.  I want to wash curtains, windows, hang stuff that’s been leaning on walls forever, & clean-out closets.  I love being a little homemaker when I can fit it in.

1. Tabitha February 17, 2012 at 5:00 pm - Reply

Hi Mara , go ahead and set up the nursery and start buying the things you love. This will show the universe that you really truly believe that a child is coming your way and in time you will have all that you desire. When I read your post I was reminded of the book entitled the Soulmate Secret by Arielle Ford. She talks about preparing a place / space for your husband to be. Ie, clean out your 2 car garage so he has a place for his car, make room in your closet for his clothes. The same theory applies here. Make all your plans and decorate a space for the little one in your life and you will be blessed.

Hope this comment is useful for you and have a great day! I am soo enjoying your blog especially the spiritual posts by Danny

• mara February 18, 2012 at 4:28 am - Reply

Tabitha, I love this advice – – thank you!!

2. Lizzi February 17, 2012 at 5:37 pm - Reply

I loved that video! I love little drawings like this, and yes, I've been collecting them (some physically, some mentally) for a baby room too. It is the hardest thing in the world for me to not buy kids clothes and furniture and toys and art, I think they bring such a sweet and happy vibe to my life. I hadn't thought of creating a kids space just yet either, but come to think of it I do have nieces and nephews that would LOVE it if I did.

Something about this time of year is making me want to clean everything too! I did an improptu bathroom cleaning this morning and resolved to spend the long weekend dusting, wiping and vacuuming everything. I always feel this incredible energy to clean everything at 6 o' clock in the morning, but by 10am? It magically disappears into wanting to just watch movies instead 🙂

• mara February 18, 2012 at 4:30 am - Reply

Lizzi – let's do it…even a little corner. I'm going to start with a kids' table & chairs. Luckily I do have a nice collection of children's books in the works.

3. Kara February 17, 2012 at 8:39 pm - Reply

Hmmm…I come from the other school of thought. I'm Jewish, and we are a very "superstitious" bunch about life and death. When I was pregnant, I would not bring many baby things into the house until after she was born (*well, I actually did for practicality, but I was so wigged out washing and folding baby clothes that I waited to the very last minute). It's a common practice amongst Jews, not wanting to tempt the fates. Also, we don't tell anyone the baby's name until after she/he arrives. We had Emelia's name all picked out and only told out inner sanctum, and my Mother-in-Law said her name a few times and I'd FREAK. Even I wouldn't call her by her name except in whispers to her.
    I'm funny like that with the things my parents took really seriously. But I also have beliefs like Tabitha says – showing the Universe you mean business. Def set up a space for the kid visitors you get! And when it comes to your baby, just do what feels right to you.

• mara February 18, 2012 at 4:32 am - Reply

Kara – THANKS for chiming in here. I absolutely love hearing about other traditions & norms. This was so fun to read.

4. Dominique February 18, 2012 at 4:20 am - Reply

"I like drawing animals, but, I'm ashamed to say, that I almost always want to put clothes on them," Blackall. I just love the poster and her video. The cynic in me remarks that she has left a few particularly unsavory elements out of her drawings – unless the subways have cleaned up a bit since I've last been on them.

• mara February 18, 2012 at 4:28 am - Reply

I'm laughing – – you're right…a few unsavory things are missing here…

(looking at the MTA posters made me think of your Grand Central poster! I love it so much, and was hoping to find a replica on their website. No such luck.)

5. Dominique February 18, 2012 at 4:29 am - Reply

On another note, as for baby paraphernalia, I've got a hard time letting go of things from my little ones. Knowing there are a few zygotes frozen in storage somewhere, makes it difficult to accept and move on. I had even spent a fortune in upgrades on my new home to fill in what would have been a double height ceiling to create a room just in case, some how, I found a way, or found some one to have those babies. As the years pass, that seems less and less likely, but I still keep those objects that I hope to pass on to the next child, and the room is now my creative space.

When pregnant with Jasper, I was so deeply grateful and terrified all the same. With the high level of risk I had to live with, I couldn't get excited about all the objects, the cute, shiny things that accessorize parenthood these days. Fortunately, babies care little for all the material things that our hyper consumerism associates with parenthood. They simply love your touch, milk, comfort, warmth, voice, etc.

• mara February 18, 2012 at 4:33 am - Reply

Dom – that is so true….such a beautiful reminder that babies really only need the things that matter…

6. eliza jane February 18, 2012 at 8:09 am - Reply

this picture makes me happy! i'm not from ny, but i've visited and this is just a perfect depiction! i don't have kids {yet} but hope to one day. and if you want to start a collection of things for baby one day, the you should. if it makes you happy and the everything you will have saved for your baby will have special meaning behind it.

thanks for sharing!

7. mara February 19, 2012 at 3:00 am - Reply

Miggy! That is the SWEETEST picture. Oh man. Thanks for sharing that.

8. two forks March 3, 2012 at 12:08 am - Reply

yes to all of the above! i have a secret amazon wish list with every possible thing i want to buy for my one-day kids. i already have about 4 tubs of baby clothes because i can't help myself – but i have not purchased anything new since my second miscarriage last summer. i also have artwork purchased already and wishlist items on etsy i hope to put to good use one of these days!

9. Anonymous March 9, 2012 at 9:49 pm - Reply

Hi Mara, it's been a while since I've thought back to the years before we had children…it took 10 1/2 years of trying (and tests etc) before our son was born. I didn't want people to know that we were trying so hard (and disappointed) every month so they wouldn't feel sorry for us, we acted like we were "fine" the way things were, so I didn't even think about collecting baby things. I guess I figured I would have 9 months to prepare if and when it happened, and as the years went by, it was certainly beginning to seem like a big "IF". Also, I discovered after we had a baby, then 4 years later when our daughter was born, that all the perfect rooms and cutsie decoration are really for the parents' enjoyment (which is ok) but the baby doesn't need it. I sometimes wonder if all the cute nursery ideas I see pinned are stressing out mothers-to-be, when perhaps a few simple decorating ideas would work well instead of leaving them feeling like they weren't measuring up to the ideal "pinterest mom" (is there such a term? if not yet, there will be! ha ha).
    I'm enjoying your blog which I only discovered yesterday. Already sent your tips on dating and marriage to my two kids, who are now 23 and 19.
    Sandy in Ga