Our Lovely President’s Day

It was glorious for us to have a day off together.  It went like this….

“Let’s go on an outing!   Let’s just get on the train and see where it takes us…”

We found ourselves in Manhattan.  We got off at Union Square.  And we soon saw this huge letter “K”, blinking all dandy in the window of Olde Good Things.  OH….I wanted it.  If only it wasn’t $850!  (That place has awesome finds, by the way… for people with deep pockets.)

Then we meandered through the Farmer’s Market at Union Square.  (One of my great loves.)

And then, smiles all around at the……..DOG PARK.  Danny & I have recently made a habit of visiting dog parks while on our dates.  Madison Sq. Park and Union Sq. have sweet ones (and Prospect Park has the best dog beach ever.)  We can sit for quite awhile and just laugh & enjoy all those dogs playing around.  You can’t help but feel carefree yourself.

Then we went to Momofuku for lunch.  YUM!  Be prepared to pack in there.  Everyone sits tightly on modern wood tables and chairs.  We got so cozy with the couple sitting next to us that we ended up feeling like old friends by the time lunch was over.  At the end, after loads of conversation, they jokingly told us, “I think you guys need to write a blog….maybe a Blog About Love!”  🙂

After lunch we discovered a GEM of a place there on the lower east side…….Casey Rubber Stamps.  It’s not your typical stamp store.  You get the feeling it’s been there for 100 years and it’s a mess of a place.  But you can’t help but be enamored by the old Irish man that owns it and makes the stamps on this ancient looking machine.  The shop seems like one of those New York institutions that probably everybody else already knows about.  By the way, he can turn ANY jpeg or pdf into a stamp (and he does mail orders!)  You wouldn’t believe some of the stuff he’s made.  What would you guys put on a stamp?  Any creative ideas for how you would you use a stamp?  I am trying to justify getting one.  I came across this list of unique ideas for using a stamp.

And, how could I not pass up Tu-Lu’s Bakery, next to the stamp store?  The entire bakery is gluten-free, with lots of vegan options as well.  We devoured some delicious baked goods – yes, I said delicious gluten-free baked goods!!  (I couldn’t keep Danny’s hands off of them :).  Ask them for their best seller…and get two of them….(they also do mail order goods & custom birthday cakes!)

What did you guys do for President’s Day?  Any great finds, places, activities, or events to recommend?  It’s always fun to have something new to do.
[FYI – Wednesday at 7:00 PM in Carroll Gardens (Brooklyn) there is a J.Crew Stylist that will be teaching women of the community some tips on how to put together outfits & accessories.  I’m so excited to attend.  Send me an email if you want more info.!  (mara@ablogaboutlove dot com)]

1. eliza jane February 21, 2012 at 11:41 pm - Reply

i just LOVE the dog park! it is soooo entertaining! you guys should get a pup! so much fun! woof woof!

2. sheri February 22, 2012 at 12:40 am - Reply

Looks like a perfect day! When I started my landscape design business 10 years ago I splurged and had my logo put on a stamp. I swear, opening up that stamp was more thrilling than getting my new business cards! Must check that place out!
    Thanks for sharing – and oh, LOVE the blouse! 😉

3. Shayla February 22, 2012 at 5:40 am - Reply

I live in Utah. Can you recap this on your blog, please?

4. Shayla February 22, 2012 at 5:41 am - Reply

When I asked for a recap, I was talking about the J. Crew instruction.

Thanks! 🙂

• mara February 25, 2012 at 7:00 am - Reply

Yes! I plan to recap it for you hopefully by early next week….it was really, really good!

5. Sage February 22, 2012 at 11:31 am - Reply

I took my family to the circus! My husband had never been! There were some amazing feats. It was a good show and we even had our photo taken with an elephant!

• mara February 25, 2012 at 7:01 am - Reply

so fun! I love the circus. My company used to rent out the Big Apple Circus at Lincoln Center every year – – so I have been to so many circuses in my day….but it's always entertaining.

6. Charlotte February 22, 2012 at 3:35 pm - Reply

Awww, how cute you guys are! Love waking up and going on adventures… and the city always offers so many of them 🙂 Spending some time in a dog park is also a favorite for me… I can't wait to have my own someday soon!

7. Nora February 22, 2012 at 6:22 pm - Reply

Sounds like a perfect day! I made (and ate) a sour cherry tart {via Stephmodo} and hung out with my Sam.
    Thanks for last week's post about vulnerability–it is SO empowering to really put yourself out there.

• mara February 25, 2012 at 7:02 am - Reply

Nora – so cool that you follow StephModo. She is one of my fav bloggers and I actually got to meet her at Alt. I LOVE HER.

8. Susan Siravo February 23, 2012 at 11:01 pm - Reply

Mara, I'm curious to know how the event was with the JCrew stylist? Will you be posting about it? Sounded like a lot of fun!

• mara February 25, 2012 at 7:03 am - Reply

Susan – the event with the J.Crew stylist was AWESOME! I'll post about it soon! She gave out some really worthwhile tips. Can't wait to share them with you.