Here are some pictures from the Tapas Party that we were invited to attend. The night could not have been more festive, fun & delicious. It was a seated dinner for 40! FORTY!! IN BROOKLYN!!! That is a huge feat, people. :) Sometimes those long, narrow brownstone apartments can come in handy. It was amazing to all be seated around the same table with so many dear friends (especially since many of us here don't even have tables :).
If you'd like to throw your own Tapas Party (which would also be so dreamy for a New Year's Party) - here is what my friend did:
1. Send Invitations by mail or email. Linsey is a graphic designer & designed these...I just loved them (by the way, she does freelance work!)
2. Assign guests to each bring some Tapas. Plan on several small plate courses. We had 10 courses which worked out so well. You can assign a few appetizers, a couple of "main dish" tapas, fruit & cheese, and a few desserts.
3. Ask guests to make sure their Tapas are easily servable...think self-contained finger foods that are also fine to eat at room temperature. The idea is that there shouldn't be a lot of prep & warming up during the party. It's more about sitting and enjoying the conversation. Food can be prepared or baked individually or just contained in endive leaves, wraps, muffin cups, plastic cups, or on sticks. Our first course was sweet potato & apple soup in a champagne glass.
4. Have a printed menu at each place. This was helpful so we could know which course was next. As one course would be finishing up, the next couple would get their tray of food ready and then begin serving the next Tapas.
5. Use PLACEMATS (she had gorgeous paper ones)..... because.....
6. After each main section of courses, ask one side of the table to slide down 4 seats. (The placemats slid down so easily and it was very doable.) The next time it's time to switch, have the other side of the table slide down 4 seats instead. This way you get to enjoy conversation with just about everyone there. This is a MUST! We switched 3 times, and it made the evening so fun!